Support for wives in the trucking industry - trucker resources, jokes, funSupport, Resources and Fun Stuff for Wives of Truckers, Families and Truckers Too!

XM Radio 1 Free Month Coupon 120x60
Community Forums :: ATW Convention :: Contest :: Articles :: Trucker's Resources :: Poems, Odes & Tributes
Just For Fun :: Help Support ATW :: The Truck Stop Shop :: Newsletter :: Memorials :: HOME
 FAQ :: Community Guidelines :: Meet the Moderators :: Register :: Log in

Community Home Recipes and Meals OTR Food
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClassAWife
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: OTR Food Reply with quote
Hi Ladies!

I was wondering how your men are dealing with meals on the road. We're new to the OTR life and would really love to hear your ways of arranging food supplies. Right now we're just using a cooler, which is difficult to keep ice, and anything warm is out of the question. So, it's sandwiches, chips, canned goods, etc., and not a lot of variety. Any suggestions on food, or product ideas for storing food that needs to be cool and for heating food?

ANY ideas are appreciated! Thanks SO much,
Kelly

truckerslove
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
We tried packing food. It didn't really work out well. Dry ice worked the best in a cooler but it doesn't last long. My husband brings snack foods like chips, nuts, water, dried fruit, doughnuts, candy bars, candy, lol, but eats a real sit down meal everyday. We plan on 20 bucks a day to go to food when money is tight. Good luck! It's a hard road a head but worth it!!!

rolling_rock
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i seen one youtube video of an OTR wife that cooked breakfast for her husband everday in the truck. but i really dont know if she has anyother videos, i guess i really havent looked. but might hit up youtube for some ideas.

----
Dee

BunnyV
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
We have found a system that is working out great for us.

Husband has an electric cooler, I believe it is a Coleman? Anyway you can plug it in to an outlet or a cigarette outlet. I should mention that he has an APU now, he has had that for about 8 months. The cooler allows him to have cold food, obviously.

Okay so I have a Food Saver, vaccum sealing machine that you see on TV where you can seal up leftovers and freeze them. While he is out on the road, whatever I cook at home, pasta, chicken, breads, veggies, basically just about anything, I seal up the leftovers in portions for one. Sometimes, since there are only 2 of us at home, if I am grilling chicken or making rice, etc., I will make extra. Like today I boiled a bunch of sweet potates and divided them into 8 portions and sealed them and put them in the freezer. So when husband comes home and then is ready to leave again, he fills his cooler with the food, usually he gets about 14 or 15 meals in the cooler. This stuff will stay frozen in the cooler for about 10 to 12 days before it even starts to thaw, plus it is keeping any other food like salad and jelly and stuff cold for him also. He has a small microwave and when it is time to eat he just cuts a little slit in the plastic and heats his dinner. He gets a home cooked meal, I don't throw away food and since he is eating healthier he has lost a lot of weight and he feels better. He supplements this food with a salad and eats peanut butter and jelly for breakfast sometimes. He really loves doing this. Sometimes it is a bit more work for me, because I might have to actually make a pan of lasgna or something that I was not going to make so that he will have it on the road but one pan of lasgna is probably 7 or 8 portions so it is worth it. He saves lots of money which is a really good thing these days. He says he also likes that he knows what he is going to eat, he does not have to try to drive somewhere or stop somewhere with food, his food is already with him. If he is still out on the road and runs out (like now he has been out 3 weeks or more) he will eat sandwiches or buy a cooked chicken and some veggies until he gets home. He is due home wed and I have two big bags of food frozen and while he is home I will cook meals for him and freeze the leftovers. The foodsaver has been one of the best things I have ever owned.

Carol

gypsykingsqueen
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
BunnyV wrote:
We have found a system that is working out great for us.

Husband has an electric cooler, I believe it is a Coleman? Anyway you can plug it in to an outlet or a cigarette outlet. I should mention that he has an APU now, he has had that for about 8 months. The cooler allows him to have cold food, obviously.

Okay so I have a Food Saver, vaccum sealing machine that you see on TV where you can seal up leftovers and freeze them. While he is out on the road, whatever I cook at home, pasta, chicken, breads, veggies, basically just about anything, I seal up the leftovers in portions for one. Sometimes, since there are only 2 of us at home, if I am grilling chicken or making rice, etc., I will make extra. Like today I boiled a bunch of sweet potates and divided them into 8 portions and sealed them and put them in the freezer. So when husband comes home and then is ready to leave again, he fills his cooler with the food, usually he gets about 14 or 15 meals in the cooler. This stuff will stay frozen in the cooler for about 10 to 12 days before it even starts to thaw, plus it is keeping any other food like salad and jelly and stuff cold for him also. He has a small microwave and when it is time to eat he just cuts a little slit in the plastic and heats his dinner. He gets a home cooked meal, I don't throw away food and since he is eating healthier he has lost a lot of weight and he feels better. He supplements this food with a salad and eats peanut butter and jelly for breakfast sometimes. He really loves doing this. Sometimes it is a bit more work for me, because I might have to actually make a pan of lasgna or something that I was not going to make so that he will have it on the road but one pan of lasgna is probably 7 or 8 portions so it is worth it. He saves lots of money which is a really good thing these days. He says he also likes that he knows what he is going to eat, he does not have to try to drive somewhere or stop somewhere with food, his food is already with him. If he is still out on the road and runs out (like now he has been out 3 weeks or more) he will eat sandwiches or buy a cooked chicken and some veggies until he gets home. He is due home wed and I have two big bags of food frozen and while he is home I will cook meals for him and freeze the leftovers. The foodsaver has been one of the best things I have ever owned.

Carol

This is an excellent system. I use a similiar one for my DH. He likes his homecook meals. Its cheaper and saves on time. You can buy different kinds of heating elements for you truck too! Mine also keeps a few snacks, cereal, case of water, peanut butter, lunchmeat and bread, fruit, etc. Find a system that works best for you!

pinkstrappysandals
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
We also use the same system. DH is usually gone mon-friday. 99% of the stuff he eats on the road is from home. THe cooler we had that plugs into the cigarettle lighter is by Mobicool, and DH too ended up getting a power inverter so he can run a small microwave, the cooler and a few other appliances.

I also got him a tiny electric frying pan, and a mini coffee maker. It was a set I found at Walmart for a grand total of 18.00 (it also had an iron). It's meant for college kids so both are very compact. He will bring eggs, and turkey bacon and make it some mornings in the mini pan. PB&J is always a favourite too.

Before he had the microwave (which BTW I paid 36.00 for at walmart again two years ago) It's a tiny low wattage one, so as DH says a dinner may take seven or eight minutes to heat...but it's worth the wait. He also has a mini grill, a lunchbox food cooker (looks like a lunchbox, plugs into the cigarette lighter, and takes those small aluminum loaf pans) for things like lasagna, sheppards pie, or anything I can make in those little pans.

As well last summer i went around to every garage sale I could find and bought little corningware or ceramic casserole dishes with lids. Mostly vintage ones, that were meant for veggies or small side dishes. I find there great too if you don't want to use any plastic containers.

One of the things DH always has to have with him for food is celery and carrots. He loves them. He also likes sliced fruit, grapes, bananas and watermelon. I love to cook when he is gone *no harassment and sampling* Nanner so I do the same thing as BunnyV when it comes to always making extra even if it's for myself. That way when DH takes his cooler on Monday mornings it's filled with frozen, fresh and semi-assembled dinners, and I didn't have to stay up late sunday night cooking everything.

Since I like to coupon I always get dirt cheap cereal, granola bars, and some processed 'emergency' foods. DH is pretty well stocked, and taken care of. My biggest fear is he will break down and have to go hungry in the middle of nowhere in a snowstorm. For that reason as well he also has a DVD player, PSP (video game system), my iphone Tissue (my heart bled a little when I let him 'take it over') so he is well prepared to be comfortable in his truck. LOL

Troopie
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
What the heck is a cooler? Do you mean an eski?

----
All men are fools, I married their king!

ShannonRK1111
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is a great idea!!! Robert has one of those coolers, we usually stop and get him some stuff before he goes on OTR to fill it. but I may have to look into one of those food savers.

----
My Knight in shining armor came riding in on 18 wheels and swept me off my feet.... I love my truck driver ♥

ShannonRK1111
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Troopie wrote:
What the heck is a cooler? Do you mean an eski?

what the heck is an eski?? LOL

----
My Knight in shining armor came riding in on 18 wheels and swept me off my feet.... I love my truck driver ♥

rolling_rock
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Loving these ideas, as a new trucker we werent sure what we were going to do, he said he wanted to do meals in the truck i never thought of doing my own frozen dinners for him! thank you ladies!

----
Dee

PetesGirl
New Friend

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
an eski and a cooler are the same thing, just different slang

----
Loud Pipes Save Lives

Babygirl_tinkerbell
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My hubby bought him a little refridge and a electric skilit and a grill kind like a geroge forman and a small - pot and he buy food to take with him and buy food at there and does his own cooking in the truck.

----
Marie

Married to my DH Richard 15 years
mother of 3girls 1 adopted and grandma of 4 boys and 1 granddaugther

Kitsi
New Friend

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Healthy Home Cooking OTR Reply with quote
The most important thing to have in your big truck is a GOOD mini fridge. We have a Frigidaire model that actually has separate freezer and refrigerator compartments. I'd post a pic of it to show you but am not sure yet, if that is possible in this forum?? Black and Decker has a similar one, and it is cheaper too, and can be purchased at Wal-Mart, which is convenient, as they almost always have big truck parking and are nationwide. Make sure to purchase an extended warranty, mini fridges tend to break easily in a semi truck, but with a warranty, it can be replaced at no cost. We are, in fact, two years later, on fridge number four, having only purchased one, thanks to the warranty.

The next most important is a microwave, hot plate, and crock pot.

Most of my meals are cooked, by scratch (nothing from the pre-made frozen foods Isle).

One of my favorites, and easiest, is stuffed bell peppers. I have made them, in the truck, but, because I think ahead, I make the meat mixture in large amounts, then I package them in easily stored zip-lock baggies and stack them in the freezer. Then next time, all I need do is thaw out the meat mixture, hollow the peppers, and microwave!

We learned quickly, truck stop eating is not only expensive, but it makes you quite round!!!! We shop every Saturday from a planned menu, for the following week. I have lots of really good recipe's I'd be very happy to share that you can help by "pre-mixing" at home so your spouse can have healthy food that isn't fast food, or lard loaded from restaurants, if you are interested. Just put them in zip locks and have him put them in his mini fridge freezer.

----
I am a full time ride along wife of a truck driver and a photographer trying to specialize in highlighting the life of a truck driver.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Community Home -> Recipes and Meals All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: