Support for wives in the trucking industry - trucker resources, jokes, funSupport, Resources and Fun Stuff for Wives of Truckers, Families and Truckers Too!

XM Radio 1 Free Month Coupon 120x60
Community Forums :: ATW Convention :: Contest :: Articles :: Trucker's Resources :: Poems, Odes & Tributes
Just For Fun :: Help Support ATW :: The Truck Stop Shop :: Newsletter :: Memorials :: HOME
 FAQ :: Community Guidelines :: Meet the Moderators :: Register :: Log in

Community Home Around and About the House Idea for Preschool age kids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oklamouse
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Idea for Preschool age kids Reply with quote
I wanted to share an idea for something I am making for Abbie. We are planning to homeschool her and this is something that will work for her preschool years.

I am making her some little scrapbooks. I am using the smaller size albums so that it will be easier for her to handle. Anything between a 6x6 or 10x10 size album would work.

In a 6x6 album, I have numbers. The first page in the book is a title page. All the subsequent pages are using a 2-page spread. On the left side, I have the numeral and also the word spelled out. On the right side, I have the number of objects to coorespond with the numeral being used. For example, for the numeral "8", there would be the numeral and the word "eight" on the left page, and I would have 8 butterflies or other object on the page on the right.

Another 6x6 album is the alphabet. Made similar to the numbers book. On the left page is the upper and power case of the letter, on the right page is an object(s) that begin with that letter.

You can also make this type of album for colors, shapes, textures, or anything else you can come up with. I have seen some really cute scrapbook albums done up for kids that have layouts depicting Bible stories even.

Anyhow, just wanted to share the idea in case anyone is interested. BTW, I have made these andsold them in the past. They sell really well because most people like them but don't want to make their own.

----
May the Lord's Blessings be with Thee,
Paula

"Lord, Keep Your arm around my shoulder,
and Your hand over my mouth!"

babydollz
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is a really neat idea! Thanks for sharing!

----
~~~~~~
KIMMERS
~~~~~~
Try to find something you like about each person you encounter, even if it is someone you dislike.

BookBimbo
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's a fabulous idea! We had those sorts of things when I taught at the overpriced pre-school. Many great teaching tools can be made at home. We used letters and numbers cut out of sandpaper, felt, quilted fabrics and other materials, using textures and colors to aid in getting familiar with numbers and the alphabet.

Another great idea, although I don't know how feasible it is now is to use plastic juice containers (which are difficult to get now) with lids that can be glued on. I think they were like six ounces or something. You'll need to spraypaint them so the kid can't see inside. Then fill several of them with different amounts of sand, to let the kids learn about weight, volume and mass.

----
...and then Buffy stakes Edward..
The end

debicook
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What a terrific idea!! I'm gonna get started tomorrow, it's amazing how quickly these little people are learnig stuff these days. Or maybe I've just forgotten...lol.

----
Debi

The best proof of love is trust. ~Dr. Joyce Brothers

oklamouse
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am having Joe start getting me the state postcards. You know, the ones that give the info about the state???
Anyhow, I can make up a little album with those. One one page have the State's name, maybe a little map. Then on the other page have the postcard. I will figure something out.

----
May the Lord's Blessings be with Thee,
Paula

"Lord, Keep Your arm around my shoulder,
and Your hand over my mouth!"

lonesomedove
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shoot..... several years ago (early 2000's) I made 6 cross country hauls with my Driver Drive out to California, Oregon and Washington - well I decided to make my young grandson Mr. Smile (Lukie) a color recognition book - I love dabbling in photography - I had a blast Boogie - the book went something like this: red truck, yellow truck, blue truck, green truck, white truck, orange truck, black truck, orange and black truck, purple truck - I still have my copy of "The Color Recognition Book" courtesy of all those "Big Rigs" on the road, in rest areas, in truck stops etc.

----
have been ATW O/O for 36 years - have experienced it all

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Community Home -> Around and About the House All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: