Support for wives in the trucking industry - trucker resources, jokes, funSupport, Resources and Fun Stuff for Wives of Truckers, Families and Truckers Too!

XM Radio 1 Free Month Coupon 120x60
Community Forums :: ATW Convention :: Contest :: Articles :: Trucker's Resources :: Poems, Odes & Tributes
Just For Fun :: Help Support ATW :: The Truck Stop Shop :: Newsletter :: Memorials :: HOME
 FAQ :: Community Guidelines :: Meet the Moderators :: Register :: Log in

Community Home Around and About the House Ribbons, Ribbons, Ribbons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jen_oh_ks
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Ribbons, Ribbons, Ribbons Reply with quote
I got my great-grandmothers sewing box and finally went thru all of it. OMG Ribbons gallore! I did throw some away that were discolored but what to do with the rest?!?! Most of them are set up for seams i think but really any ideas.. I could just throw them all away b/c i really have no idea what to do with them..

----
~Jen~

mzdetour
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
OMG don't throw them away....You will put Tee in caos....LOL

----
~ Jo~
God has my soul
My horse has my heart
My Dog is my best friend
Tell me agian where your supposed to fit in ???

Tee
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
ooh jo u are right..my heart skipped two beats when i was reading....

omg ribbons..oh yea hundreds of things to do with them..
great for wrapping packages with........always my favorite are shadow boxes with some of the ribbons and some of your great grandmother's things..what a heirloom u could make to pass down to the family..

at the holidays decorate cards with them to give to each of the family members with her special touch added.......

weave them together to make a pillow........another keepsake......

embellishments for jeans, purses, jackets etc.........

braid them for key holders............or put bells on them........

make beautiful flowers just by wrapping them in a circle thingey like a yo yo (not the toy the old fashion yo yo's u see on quilts..)

just a few things thrown at ya....LMBO..... Wink

----
recycle.reuse.refurbish.ha and dh thinks GARBAGE..He's learning.LOL

Tee
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
u can also use them in latch hook kits. instead of using yarn u cut the binding ribbons into shorter pieces and latch them thru the rug stuff......

also u can make a braided rug using them in different lengths....

even though they are seams just think of them as long strand ribbons with no edging or if they have edging then fray is kewl in decorating things with..........the textured look.....

also great for edging around blankets or soft hats........

a big ribbon ball or several in a basket..........remember these are great grandmother's so u just can't get rid of them.........

also u can use diluted glue to make them stiff for projects.........

and keep that sewing box another treasure even if it's just an old cigar box.......WOW..it's vintage and aged thru time........

ooh sorry i got caught up with this............u know me..i can't help myself...... Dancer Mrs Smile

----

jen_oh_ks
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i just knew i'd get a huge reply from you Tee Mrs Smile I was thinking about making a pillow or something with them. the box however is newer 70's maybe and ugly! starting to come apart it's has like an old vinyl table cloth on the outside.. hrmmm maybe make a new cover.. Thumbs Up

----
~Jen~

misskelly
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can make roses out of them as well to decorate items. Takes a bit of practice but they end up very pretty.

----
Live, Love, Laugh...well, why not?

mzdetour
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you got family pictures with our gma??...wouldn't it be nice to share them with your family after you either got a photo album or a few frames and "framed" them in your gmas ribbons....you can use the ribbions inside the frame or hoy glue the ribbions to dollar store frames....I think that would be a neat idea...(how that Tee, I can think crafty)

----
~ Jo~
God has my soul
My horse has my heart
My Dog is my best friend
Tell me agian where your supposed to fit in ???

Navigator
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, please don't throw them away. yes ,my heart skipped a beat and I got all excited. use them to go around a quilt or better yet if you have either old cloth from one of her outfits say one of your grandmas and one of your moms and one of yours then with some plain material use a computer printer and get pictures of the family: aunts, uncles etc on the plain material and make a memorial quilt that can be passed on down through the generations using the ribbon around the edges

----
All roads lead home!

Tee
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
yep see jen u must find some use for them........we insist.....LMBO

and yes there are alot of creative minds in the works on ATW..whoooo hooooooo Wink Dance Dance

Jo i was speechless.. Thumbs Up Wink

i kept thinking about that box all day today..lol......take those ribbons and decorate that 'ugly' vinyl using them for the sides......me 70's is RETRO........and what thoughts went thru great grandma's mind when she put those ribbons in there......what was her plans to use them for.......Why did she pick that box to hold her ribbons.........ooh the mysteries of the box........omg i can almost picture a nancy drew mystery in the making.........LOL

----

jen_oh_ks
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOL oh Tee! I love most of the 70's retro stuff.. just ask DH i'm "old fashioned" for my age.. i had to been born in the wrong era.. This sewing box is ugly! brown and white..well now yellow white.. and YAY for a nancy drew book!

----
~Jen~

Tee
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
aged with love..........lol

ok jen u have to search some of those answers out..does anyone know how the box came about? lol..

cut the box down if it's in bad shape and put it in a shadow box with some pieces of her ribbon and maybe a picture of great grandma.........did u find any other sewing stuff of hers put those in the shadow box too....u got an heirloom in the making............a piece of fabric from an old dress of hers..ooh maybe her wedding dress..or a strap from one of her purses.........or buttons even maybe print up one of her favorite sayings and put with it.........i could go on and on..u will never look at her box the same again...LMBO........ Wink Heart

----

foolograce
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
If they are something you don't want, there are a ton of people that look for vintage sewing notions on ebay, etsy, and craigslist. That is actually one of the items I go junkin' for. We use them in all our vintage crafting projects!

----
Tara D.
foolograce

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Community Home -> Around and About the House All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: