Support for wives in the trucking industry - trucker resources, jokes, funSupport, Resources and Fun Stuff for Wives of Truckers, Families and Truckers Too!

XM Radio 1 Free Month Coupon 120x60
Community Forums :: ATW Convention :: Contest :: Articles :: Trucker's Resources :: Poems, Odes & Tributes
Just For Fun :: Help Support ATW :: The Truck Stop Shop :: Newsletter :: Memorials :: HOME
 FAQ :: Community Guidelines :: Meet the Moderators :: Register :: Log in

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Community Home Around and About the House Homestead Update
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tracy
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow sounds amazing.

----
One day at a time

oklamouse
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am so blessed.
Over the past few days of taking things easy after over working myself on Thanksgiving, Joe has really taken up the slack and helped out so much. We had a long talk and we have figured out a way to drastically reduce my daily workload. I am so excited to give it a try. I will be able to get everything done, but at a much easier pace that will not set off my fibromyalgia flares ups.
From now on, anything not done by lunch time will be left for another day. We have everything nearly ready for that type of schedule. This will give me the entire afternoon while the kids are napping to rest if I need to or to work on the sewing projects that I have. Dance Dance Dance
I am still working on the things that affect my stress levels to avoid the physical problems that they cause. I am making progress though. I am feeling better now than I have in a very long time.
I am realizing that I the more relaxed time that I have to sew and work on things for the family, the happier and more relaxed I am feeling. Having an entire afternoon each day to work on the sewing and such will be a huge blessing and much cheaper than medical treatment!

----
May the Lord's Blessings be with Thee,
Paula

"Lord, Keep Your arm around my shoulder,
and Your hand over my mouth!"

Tee
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hugs GroupHug

----
recycle.reuse.refurbish.ha and dh thinks GARBAGE..He's learning.LOL

wolfprincess
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hugs Hugs I am glad that you figured out something that will work. Prayers still headed your way!!!

----
*~* Tammara *~*

oklamouse
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks again for all the prayers. The new routine is working. Joe actually said last night that he can see a huge difference in my being more relaxed and in less pain. I also am not going around exhausted as I was before.

I am feeling so much better. I am doing what I can in the mornings, then after I clean up the lunch dishes I am done for the day. What a difference! It means the mornings are busy, but I have the afternoon to relax and recover from it. On days when both kids are taking their afternoon naps at the same time, I also am able to lay down for a bit.

I have been cutting out fabrics at night to sew the next day. The kids are very content to play. Micah either plays on a blanket near me or in his exersaucer. Abbie plays nearby with her toys or is doing things to get Micah laughing. While they play, I am able to sew or crochet. I have been crocheting the socks for Joe. He loves the idea of having the crocheted ones. I have nearly exhausted my yarn stash with all the crocheting I have been doing. So, I will have to save up to buy more. I want to crochet some socks for the kids to wear to bed to keep their feet warm.

The temperatures have been getting quite cold. Daytime is only in the 30's - 40's and the nighttime temps drop into the 20's and are very windy which makes it feel so much colder. Friday we are supposed to get our first snow of the season. Tonight, I am going to stay up as long as possible to keep the stoves going. It is cold enough at night with the winds blowing that the kids each sleep in 2 layers of sleepers (regular long sleeves pajamas with blanket sleepers overtop) and 3 blankets/quilts each. I will feel better about it once Joe has Micah's crib set up. Currently, Micah sleeps in a portable crib that is about the height of a playpen. Being that close to the floor, he has to have an extra fleece blanket to lay on to help stay nice and toasty warm. They both stay warm enough, I just am fussy about it and always looking for more ways to make sure that they stay warm since both move about in their sleep and sometimes knock off their covers. Their room is next to the room the wood stove is located so they get alot of heat from it.

When Abbie and Joe went out to feed the sheep tonight, on their way back, Abbie kept saying "Pumpkin" and pointing to the garden. Joe tried telling her that the pumpkins were all gone, but Abbie was insistant. She finaly walked over into the garden and showed Daddy the "pumpkin" that she was talking about. There in the dried vines was a pumpkin that was somehow missed when we picked them 2 weeks ago. She was so proud of herself! They came in and she was all excited to tell me about the pumpkin. So, tomorrow I will be baking another pumpkin to put into the freezer. Depending on how much cooked pulp I get, we will have pies at Christmas. I will go out tomorrow while the kids are napping and check over the patch again to be sure no more pumpkins were missed. Once the snow flies, the pumpkins will be harder to find.

Tomorrow, I will be doing the pantry inventory and finalizing my menu for the rest of the month. On Saturday, I have the monthly grocery shopping to do while the kids are visiting their grandparents and Joe is cutting firewood for the cookstove. He also will be busy loading up the porch with enough firewood for the week so that we won't have to fuss with going out to the wood pile and hauling wood to the house during the week. He also stocks the house with firewood near the stoves so that I don't have to carry any wood in while he is at work.

I nearly have the pantry reorganized. Joe had moved some shelving around to be able to put the refrigerator out there. This will make it easier to rewire the electricity later on. We will only have 2 rooms to have electricity put in. The pantry/laundry will have the most wiring due to having the laundry machines, water heater, and refrigerator. We are also going to get a freezer to put in there. The kitchen will have at least a 110 outlet for my slow cooker and grain mill. On the opposite side of the wall where the kitchen's 110 outlet is located, there is a 110 outlet for the living room. Those 2 outlets will be wired on the same current. The livingroom's outlet will be for the sewing machine and computer.

We currently have an electric stove but are looking into getting a gas stove that we can use with propane. There is a farm supply store where we can buy inexpensive propane tanks to use for the stove. The tanks look like 6 ft. tall cylinders. Joe will build a frame to set them up in near the house. Then, when they need refilled we will put them on the back of the truck and take them to the propane refill station. No big deal. The place is near where Joe works. He will just have to rig up a tank rack on the back of his truck.

Next week, I will start the baking for Christmas. Most of the cookie dough will be froze until closer to the holiday. I do need to make the fudge earlier though. I make a peanut butter fudge each year. This year, I am thinking of making Buckeyes also. I use the peanut butter fudge for the Buckeyes. I want to have a nice batch of the fudge for Joe to take to work and also for us to share at church at the holidays.

----
Paula

oklamouse
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Last night, we had our first winter storm. Throughout the night, there was a thunderstorm bringing hail. Today, the temperature has dropped 30*F lower than it was yesterday evening. Bbrrr Yes, winter has finally decided to make it's presence known.

Today, I actually managed to get both kids taking an early nap in preparation for going bell ringing. I have a pot of chili simmering on the stove, which will be put into the oven while we are gone to stay warm until our return. The cornbread's dry ingredients are pre mixed so that only the liquid has to be added before baking. By and by, dinner will be ready when we get home tonight.

I managed to get more things cut out to sew tomorrow. I am finding that much of the smaller sewing projects are easier to stitch by hand than to use the sewing machine. So far, in all the sewing projects since September, I have not yet had to get the sewing machine out. I had the brief moment of thinking of sewing a dress by hand, but snapped back into reality real quick. ROTFL I may give up alot of electricity usage, but some things just are more efficient with electricity. Well, at least until I have a treadle sewing machine, that is.

My new routine of getting all work done by lunchtime is working out wonderful. Joe is also pleased with it. He tells me often how much he notices the difference in how I feel. I didn't realise that my pain showed so much to him.

The ewe is pregnant! She never went into heat this time, so that means that the ram finally earned his feed. Dance I am so excited about this. Her breed regularly drops 2-3 lambs per lambing. I can't wait to find out how many she is going to have. She will be lambing in March. Since we don't know when exactly the ram did his duty, we can't be certain of the lambing date.

I have been collecting wool from the ewe. She scratches her back on low tree limbs and the wool sheds off. Since she wasn't sheared last year, her wool is over 6 inches long. I am looking for the hand carding tools so that I can start playing around with the wool. This spring, we will be taking our sheep to the farm we got them from. They invited us to bring our sheep for shearing, so that we can learn how to do it ourselves. I will be saving all the fleeces from our sheep to make into yarn. If I can get a few extra fleeces from the farmer, I will take as many as he is willing to part with. I will be washing them, then some will be made into roving so I can make yarn, the rest will be put up for sale. There are a lot of women who are learning to spin their own wool yarn and always on the look out for raw fleece to work with.

It is amazing to me how many of the old arts and handcrafts are making a come back. People are beginning to see the value of the old ways. I am so grateful that I learned as much as I did growing up. It has been a blessing. What many don't realise is that we are living on 1/4th of the income that Joe received as a trucker. Unfortunately that is the price we have to pay for him to be home. One gal who knows our income told me that she spends more on groceries a month than we earn in that same month. The Lord blesses us so much though. We are able to garden and do other things that allow us to be able to manage at a low income. For all the "things" that we can no longer afford, we are very blessed in that we don't miss those things. Our priorities have shifted. It is tight and sometimes I have to get creative if there is something we are needing, but we are managing to make do. We don't own credit cards or have any loans to tap into our income. Everything we have is paid for. I think that is itself is the primary reason that we are making it.

I have gone over the homestead's resources and where we are at right now. I am so thrilled. With the pregnancy of the ewe, we are only about 18 months away now from raising nearly 100% of our own food. That is huge for us. I have kept track of the groceries that we buy that are things we cannot grow ourselves. Once we reach that point of raising our own food, we will only be spending about $400 per year on groceries for the family. Most of this is on things like wheat, dried beans, lentils, baking powder, salt, etc. Of course, this is according to today's prices.

Now, I just need to get better ideas of things to sell from the homestead. I have tried selling my shawls. People love them, but they are wanting to pay less for them than the yarn cost me to make them. Hammer I will never understand that. Oh well. By and by, I will get it figured out.

----
Paula

oklamouse
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wanted to touch base for a quick moment. I may not be online much over the next week or so. I am keepingthe computer off during the day so that I canwork on finishing up alot of sewing that needs to be done and some holiday preparations that are still not completed. When I can, I will be online in the evening.

Today, I spent nearly the entire day sewing. I got so much accomplished that I am going to leave the computer off during the day so that I can utilize as much of the daylight as possible. I managed to sew 4 pair of slippers for several family members and:

For Micah - 4 pair of thigh-high fleece socks to keep his legs warm when crawling about, 3 pair of pants, and a fleece hat & mittens.

For Abigail - a pinafore, 4 pair of fleece socks, 2 pair of pantalettes, 2 skirts, and a fleece hooded scarf & mittens set.

I got Joe's crocheted socks finished tonight. He plans to wear them tomorrow and if they work well for him, I will start making him some more.

Tomorrow, I have more sewing already cut out and ready to start putting together. Aprons, tea wallets, a couple of dresses, and underpinnings. I don't know how much of it will get done tomorrow, but am looking forward to getting as much done as I can.

----
Paula

oklamouse
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow have there been some changes taking place on the homestead! I am a bit nervous about it, but I know that the Lord is goign to be there helping us as we need.

We finally got realistic about our home. As much as we love it, we are going to bave to rebuild this spring. This ol homestead was not well maintained before Joe got it and there is just too much wrong with it for us to be able to fix. The foundation is bad. It is a bunch of rocks stacked on each other with a bit of mortar in between. The mortar has been falling out and you can now pull some of the rocks completely out. The roof is in need of repair and we have alot of termite damage. The addition on the home that was built in 1910 is sinking on one side. Basically, the house would need to be torn down to be able to fix all the problems.

Our decision is to rebuild on another part of the property this spring. We cannot stay another winter in this house. It already has a 2'x6' section of ceiling in our bedroom that has fallen - leaving the attic exposed. It just is not going to be safe. So, we are going to get as much of the supplies as possible with our tax refund and this spring the church is going to help by bringing out a work party to have a house raising. We hope to have the house closed in (outer walls and roof) by summer so that we can insulate and finish the interior enough to move in by fall. We can finish the interior after we move in.

The house is going to be about 840 sq. ft. in size. Basically 35' across and 24' deep. There will be 3 bedrooms, 1 bath/laundry combination, and 1 large 15'x24' room that will have a kitchen area at one end and living area at the other. The house will be small enough to be easy to heat in the winter, but also very efficient and plenty big for our needs. It will also allow us to be able to build it ourselves quilckly enough to be in it before the cold weather arrives next year.

We can't afford a loan, so it is going to be done on a cash basis. Thank heavens we know resources where we can get the building supplies at a discount. One builder in our area has even offered to buy the supplies for us at his cost. What a blessing! Since the house will be rectangular with no weird bump outs or such, he has also offered to do the basic framing and concrete slab in a pole barn style, which is the business he is in. We will have the outer walls, roof & slab done for under $3000. Then, we would just have to do all the interior work over the summer. Again, once we have the supplies, the church would come and instead of raising the outer walls and such, they would help us to insulate and close up the interior so that we can start getting the house ready to move in. I have been looking online at homes that are made pole barn style and they are really alot nicer than you would think. It all depends on how you finish them out. Doing a pole barn style framing would make the job alot faster, but the house would still be just as sturdy. Look at how long those pole barns on farms hold up! One of the primary differences in the framing is that the pole barn posts are set into concrete footings. Then once all the outer posts are set, they then pour the slab flooring. With the poles set in concrete footings & the slab flooring, we won't have to worry in the future about the house settling as much as it would with a tradition wood framing.

We are really looking forward to this. Yesterday, our house was really cold all day long due to the low temps and wind. The kids kept warm enough as I had them dressed in 3 layers. I was shivering all day though. Joe had to rig up a fan for the wood stove to circulate the heat last night. It is warmer today, but we are looking forward to not having the problems with heating the house next year.

We will be keeping the wood cookstove and the wood stove that we heat with. Two propane heaters will be installed also as a back-up for over night or if the temp drops when we are away from home. We will still have the limited electricity also.

Having this expense and work coming up, we are having to put on hold a few things. We won't be able to get chickens next spring. The money we would have put into building a coop is now going to the house. Also, I will be planting only a small garden instead of a large one. It will be worth it though. We can always add the chickens and larger garden the following year.

----
Paula

oklamouse
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh my goodness! Tee would flip over this. Talk about reaching deep and finding your inner redneck!

Last night I was in the bubble bath and thnking deep thoughts. Yeah, guys do their deep thinking on the toilet, I do mine while taking a soak in a bubble bath. Anyways, I thought of a way to save tons on our new house. Don't have a septic system installed! Hey, we are far enough into the county that we don't have to do permits or anything, so we can do this! Here is how.

For all household waste water from the sinks, tub/shower, and laundry we can set up a grey water system. As long as we do not use chemicals in our water that we clean with, we can have the water go from the house and directly into an irrigation system for our garden. Since I make all my cleaners from non-chemical ingredients, it is not a problem. Now, the only issue is the toilet. Well, I got a solution for that too. An outdoor privy! Yep, Joe is actually agreeing to build & set up an outhouse! Dance I grew up using one of these. We will have a toilet set up in the bathroom for using at night or on stormy/cold days. It will be one of those types like you see in nursing homes with the bucket underneath, which can be emptied into the outhouse. Joe already has this all planned out. You know those solar lights that people put along their sidewalks? He wants to line the path to the privy with those lights so that we can go out there at night and not have to worry about wildlife. We will have a lantern to carry for lighting in the privy. The kids will use the indoor one until they are old enough to go to the outdoor privy.

I can't believe we are actually excited about getting an outhouse. Told Joe that this would be one way to insure that we don't have overnight guests to the house! LOL

----
Paula

Tee
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
girl u are pulling on my heart strings.....lol...............boy i remember actually using these in ky..omg they are great except for the freezing winters...........hey if it was good enough for grandma u know u will be just fine using this contraption.............wait till i tell wrongturn...U ARE REALLY GOING TO USE YOURS>>>LMBO Dance Dance Dance

i love the shawl for abbie that is wonderful.. Mrs Smile Mrs Smile

----

oklamouse
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the laugh this morning Tee! I can just about imagine wrongturn's reaction. Once the house is done, you will have to come for a visit. I promise to have a indoor privy for you so you don't have to go outside at nght. Hugs

~~~~~~~~~

Well, this is the post I have been dreading and putting off for some time now. With all the upcoming changes and the work that needs doing, I find that I need to put my full focus on the family. I love you guys and will miss you, but I need to have my health and my family first. So, this will be my last post to ATW.

I have enjoyed the friendships that I have found here. I hope that they will continue. Tee has my email address if anyone wants to stay in touch. I wish you all well and hope that you have a wonderful holiday season.

May the Lord's blessings be with thee,
Paula

Tee
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i understand the need to focus on family..WE ARE FAMILY HERE GroupHug .......always know when u need a breather pop in and update us on your wonderful life.......u have so much to offer in experience..wishing u all the best thru the holiday season.............just remember u have made a Major positive influence on ATW..u will be greatly missed..............hopefully we will see u on atw in the near future..u know that new harvest has still got some of us baffled.. Heart Heart Heart Hugs Hugs Hugs Tissue Tissue

----

mzdetour
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Paula, I understand you need to focus on family and home, but leave ATW??? I love reading your homestead posts!!! you have brought joy and laughter to so many of us, I hope you can pop in and let us know you and the family are doing ok.
I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, be good and stay safe~ Hugs Hugs Hugs

----
~ Jo~
God has my soul
My horse has my heart
My Dog is my best friend
Tell me agian where your supposed to fit in ???

stormygirl
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
paula i love readin about your homestead please dont leave atw

----
married too awonderful man

oklamouse
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Greetings to you all. Thank you for the emails and kind words. I truly needed a break. I think the holiday season, the realization we need to stop trying to repair our home and build a new one by fall, my health, etc. all just got to be too much. Beloved always tells me that I am too soft hearted, and over the past few months my heart has taken a beating. It distresses me to get emails stemming from my blog or our family website from women who are desperate to make changes to help them cope with the economic pressures. I was receiving emails asking for advice, sometimes up to a dozen or more daily. One lady in particular was writing me 3-5 times a day with questions. Hearing from people afraid that they are losing everything (home, vehicle) and having them asking me for advice. What do I tell them? How do I lighten their burden? In honesty, I can only tell them what is on my heart. It is heart breaking to hear from so many who are struggling so hard and not being able to do anything that can help ease their burden. I had days when I couldn't read the emails as I would end up crying way too much. I felt like I was at a breaking point of my own. The worst was when they would ask pointed questions of what to do to ease their financial situation. I would give them the practical answers that they were seeking, only to have them toss it back saying that the advice sounded nice, but it was too much work. Excuse me????? It is too much work to actually cook a meal for your family instead of going out or hitting the drive thru each night and saving money on your food expense? It is too much work to do your own laundry and not pay the gal at the laundromat, even though that particular woman had a brand new washer & dryer set hooked up at home. It is too depriving of the children to teach them to be reasonable in their requests for electronics or in their demands for a $75/week allowance (one gal had 4 kids and yep, that is how much she paid them & the kids never helped out at home)! Another mother of 6 wrote about her kids only wearing clothes bought at the mall, so the idea of thrift stores - even the ones in the nicer areas of town - was out of the question. I am sorry, but I finally had to say enough is enough. Most of those contacting me for advice wanted to continue in their current spending habits and not make any changes to lighten their burden. They wanted advice, but were unbending in their willingness to make the changes that would be needed to truly relief the financial hardship they were struggling with. And no.......not one of those emails were from anyone on ATW. You all have too much sense to be as dense and thick as they were about getting realistic.

On the homestead: Micah is finally no longer content to be wherever you lay him down. He now rolls all over the floor to get where he wants to be. He has also finally started getting his legs under his belly to try and figure out crawling. At the rate he is going, I am suspecting he will do as Abbie did and only crawl for a very short time before pulling himself up. Beloved's mom told me that he never crawled, he was content until he was ready to pull himself up and walk.

Abbie is doing great. She is such a great sister to Micah. We found her a second hand kitchen play set and so now she plays alot with it and tries to feed Micah whatever pretent meal she has prepared. Poor Micah just sees a spoon coming and gets excited, then frustrated when there is only a pretent meal. LOL

Beloved's job is going well. He is working at a place that is very unlikely to be hit with the economy problems, at least they will be on tail end of it if at all. The company makes the large generators that force air into the natural gas wells & push the natural gas to the surface.

I am doing much better. I have a routine now that is allowing me time to work on things to sell (2 days a week) and the rest of the week, I spend making the things our family needs. I recently learned to crochet socks, so that is a new & fun project that I do in the evenings. Once I get a couple of more pair done for the family, I am going to start making them to sell. They are a nice weight for a boot sock or for keeping your feet warm when walking on a cold floor.

Angel, our ewe, is starting to get fat. I am thinking that she will be having twins or triplets in the spring. A single birth, I don't believe would cause her to be filling out quite this soon. Time will tell though. Now that she is pregnant, Midas has also calmed down. I still don't go into their enclosure, but they are very gentle again.

My favorite little cat was caught by coyotes the other night. "Boots" was over a year old, yet half the stature of the other barncats. Normally, he is an indoor/outdoor cat but prefers sleeping under the house. Three nights ago the coyotes were in our back field and the next morning, Boots was gone and has not been seen since. I babied that cat the entire time we had him. I had even planned on making him an indoor cat at night during the extremely cold weather. I had a bad couple of days over losing him. You are always prepared for animals that are being raised for food to die, but never ready for a pet to go.

We have made some changes in our plans for the homestead. Since I cannot eat any meat, we are going to only be butchering one lamb a year. Any other lambs will be sold to others who want the meat. We will be cutting them a deal, giving a better price since they will be picking up a live animal to butcher or have butchered themselves. We will be getting some Alpine goats as soon as we are able to. Beloved really enjoys the large "Billy Goat Gruff" looking goats, so the Alpines are the breed he chose. They give a very creamy milk that can also be used for making cheeses. We will have them for the milk only. We will be using the milk to drink and for my soaps. If we get more milk than we can use, we will sell the extra.

We will still be getting both meat chickens and egg layers. Also a few turkeys. Eggs we will use, but the meat chickens & turkeys will be sold when grown full size. Surplus eggs will be sold also. Mainly the egg layers and enough turkeys and meat chickens for breeding will be kept.

We have chosen a spot for the house on a high flat ground area of the back field. The view there is really nice and you cannot see the road at all. It is far enough back that there will be no concern for the kids playing near the street. We are cutting a path through the woods to get up to the new house. I am thoroughly enjoying it. Each day as the kids are napping, I am going out and bringing in some of the smaller dead trees. They are very tall, but have a small diameter due to not getting enough sunlight to grow a thick trunk. Of course, Beloved has his issues with me dragging the trees to the house for him to cut, but I am enjoying it.

----
Paula

Tee
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
dear goodness mousie...........i would have referred many of those emails to suze orman and ramsey websites.....lordy i think many were looking for magical answers..or a handout..shoot they got a brain they need to use it..most i feel for them put themselves in that mess..i can say if they lost jobs then that's different..we are a greedy american society..we want want and don't know the difference between needs........who cares what the jones are doing??geez my Mother is a prime example..To her a sale or a true deal is something she bought at the nearest mall..geez wake up why do u need 34 pairs of shoes.......
I tell ya i am glad i found out yep by the hardway but i learned from our stupid nonsense spending..U can't save the world that doesn't know how to live within their means...........

wow a new house..gosh girl your house is so precious..still i bet u will recycle alot from the old one..I have taken notes from your blog..

so glad u had a chance to pop in and update us........sounds like things are turning around for the better..and yes dh is still bragging about your homestead ideas and trials and tribulations..those miners just don't know what hit them when he came aboard.........

Take care my sweet precious friend........u are ONE of a kind.......and don't EVER change.......hugs. Cow Cow Heart Hugs

----

oklamouse
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
First, thank you to all who were contacting me about the ice storm. We did well through it. The freezing rain started on Monday early afternoon and continued through Tuesday late afternoon. Joe managed to get home from work Monday, but was unable to get out of the drive on Tuesday. He also missed work yesterday due to the roads. When he left yesterday morning to try to go to work, the ice & snow in the driveway was so solid that the car left no tracks. We haven't had a power outage, but people tease asking if we would notice if we did have one. LOL

The kids are doing good. Both recently had a growth spurt so I am now making them each a few outfits to get them through the remainder of winter. Next will come their summer clothing.

We may have to find a home for our pup. She is hunting birds and killing them. With our plans to have chickens, turkeys and guineas, we won't be able to trust her to not go after them also. It is disappointing. I had originally got her to be an indoor pet, but she was so much happier outdoors. Now, she is so used to being outdoors that I don't know if we will be able to train her to be an indoor dog again. I may try it though.

We found my kitten Boots about a week ago. Something must have been wrong with him. He sought shelter in a crate with hay in it and froze during the night. Boots was over a year old and always slept under the house for shelter & protection from the weather. For him to not seek proper shelter was very out of character for him. I am feeling better though knowing that he simply froze in his sleep rather than being caught by the coyotes.

I am enjoying the days now, it is a more relaxed pace. In a few months, with the arrival of spring and warmer weather the homestead will be busy again. I went shopping last weekend and found an old round washtub. I was thrilled! I now have a large enough tub for doing the laundry in and can stop using the bathtub. I have been enjoying washing the laundry by hand. It is so relaxing it is becoming one of my favorites tasks.

----
Paula

listn4jakes
Birthday Team
Birthday Team

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice to see you again on the boards. So glad to hear that you made it through the storm unharmed. Sorry to hear about your kitty, prayers being sent to you for him. Hopefully the spring willl bring you some relief. Please keep us updated on your homestead. Sending loving thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

----
ROBIN

Friends are angels in disguise keeping and eye on you!!

oklamouse
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It seems like getting on here every couple of weeks is working out, so I am going to go ahead with that. I am feeling better with each week. As rough as this winter has been on my health, I am really looking forward to being in the new place. We are praying that the tax refund is enough to have the outside shell of the home & the concrete slab foundation completed. Then, we will be able to get the interior done bit by bit over the summer. As long as we are in it by late November, when our first frost can happen, we should be doing good. I told Beloved that I will be ready to move in as soon as the insulation is up and we have a way to cook. I would be thrilled if the only way to cook was the kitchen wood stove if that was the only way we could do it at first.

I am really pushing myself this week to get things made. We will take pictures this weekend when we have more time to do it outdoors in good lighting. Then, I will be adding to the Etsy store. Right now, I have about 20 new patterns for little girls that Abbie outgrew before I could use them. I also got some others that she would grow into, but I probably won't be making. I am going to sell them also. They are all little dresses and such.

Miss Abbie is becoming such a helper around here. I love this stage, when they want to help do everything. We are encouraging it so that she will continue with it. Master Micah has finally decided to try crawling. He needs to learn to shift it into a forward gear instead of going backwards all the time. I guess that is proof that a guy's needing directions is in their DNA! ROTFL

----
Paula

Tee
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Cow Mrs Smile Mrs Smile Mrs Smile Mrs Smile Mrs Smile Mrs Smile Mrs Smile Mrs Smile Mrs Smile Mrs Smile Mrs Smile Mrs Smile Mrs Smile Mrs Smile Mrs Smile Mrs Smile Mrs Smile Mrs Smile Tissue Hugs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Community Home -> Around and About the House All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: