Support for wives in the trucking industry - trucker resources, jokes, funSupport, Resources and Fun Stuff for Wives of Truckers, Families and Truckers Too!

XM Radio 1 Free Month Coupon 120x60
Community Forums :: ATW Convention :: Contest :: Articles :: Trucker's Resources :: Poems, Odes & Tributes
Just For Fun :: Help Support ATW :: The Truck Stop Shop :: Newsletter :: Memorials :: HOME
 FAQ :: Community Guidelines :: Meet the Moderators :: Register :: Log in

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Community Home Around and About the House Homestead Update
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merrielee
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have so enjoyed catching up on all your posts that I missed while I was offline. Hope you are feeling better. Heart

----
If People were ment to POP out of bed
we'd all sleep in toasters!

oklamouse
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dance Today I am finally doing it. I am making my potash for my homemade soaps. I am really excited about this. I have been saving hardwood ash from the wood stoves and a large tote full of rain water. I have been looking forward to getting back to doing this again. What is potash? It is the homemade lye that the earlier generations used for making their soaps. It is not as strong/caustic as the stuff you buy, but it works really well. Once I get a batch of it done made, I will have to cook it down (outside on the grill) to get it more concentrated so that it won't take so long to make the soap. What got me thinking of doing this was the fact that in Oklahoma you cannot go to a store and buy lye due to the illegal drug problems. Just a single can of lye, such as you would find in grocery stores, would cost me $20 in HAZMAT fees on top of the shipping charges. It is highly regulated. I figured it up once. To have enough lye to make a decent batch of soap would cost me about $10 for the lye, but with the shipping and HAZMAT fees the price jumped up to $56! So, I am doing it the old way.

Today is a baking day. Joe and I are needing to go to OKC tomorrow, so I am getting all the baking done today in preparation. One of the problems with being vegetarian....very few eating out options. So, I have to make a picnic lunch that we can take with us. So, I am making pita bread, falafel, and tahini to add to the lettuce and such I am taking for making our sandwiches. Will be taking salad, chocolate-peanut butter cookies, and some fruit also to give us a good lunch. We keep a lot of trail mix in teh pantry for snacking also.

I am taking a break from the computer again soon, just checking emails and doing my blogs. I find that I need the breaks more often than I used to. As always, I can be reached through email anytime. I just need time to focus on a few things here.

We are getting our taxes done on Wednesday, electronic filing & direct deposit of the federal & state refunds. We should get our returns by the 2nd week of March at the latest. Usually we have it within 2 weeks. Once we have that, we will be giving the builder the "go ahead" to put up the pole barn. We are so excited. I have a gal I have been in touch with that has a similar style home. She shared pictures of how they did it and Joe loves the ideas. We are going to incorporate many of them in our own home. I already have the decor figured out. Everything will be in very soft, light colors to reflect the natural lighting and the oil lamp light. By the time we are done, the house will have an old farmhouse look to it inside.

----
May the Lord's Blessings be with Thee,
Paula

"Lord, Keep Your arm around my shoulder,
and Your hand over my mouth!"

Tee
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bil has a pole barn..those are great..............i think we are going to do a small one......

now that's my kind of lunch..WOW............have a great time.........

Dance Dance Dance Dance Heart Heart Mrs Smile Hugs Cow

----
recycle.reuse.refurbish.ha and dh thinks GARBAGE..He's learning.LOL

oklamouse
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
As of tomorrow, we will be offline until fall. We are going off-grid much faster than expected. The stupid electric company lost our payment and are shutting us off tomorrow. Can't defer payments as they were to shut off today, but the storms caused a 1 day postponing of all shut offs. We are okay with this. We were planning to go off-grid in the fall anyways. It is just happening faster than planned.

If anyone wants to stay in touch, you need to email me today for my address. My email is [url]okprairiemom@gmail.com[/url]

----
Paula

oklamouse
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the emails. I am logging off after this post.
I feel very blessed to have found so many friends here. I will miss being here. The whole change is still such a surreal thing. I am at total peace with it though. I know that once it sinks in that i can't do email I may have a few rough moments. I have several addresses though and plan to write as often as time permits.

I will keep you in prayers.

----
Paula

oklamouse
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello Everyone! I finaly found a computer that will allow me to access ATW! I had to go to a larger city to find a library that will allow me to get on ATW, but we are planning on coming here at least once a month.

We are doing great. I love the non-electriuc lifestyle. Joe is enjoying also in spite of the fact he has always been a techno-geek. LOL

The kids are doing good. Abbie is learning to write her alphabet letters. We started preschooling her after her 3rd birthday last March. Recently she started wanting to write letters, so I have been teaching her how to write the capital letters in manuscript.

Micah is finally walking. He started about a month ago and is doing great at it. Just has to gain confidence to let go of our hands & he will be off and running.

Thanks for the letters & text messages. I enjoying hearing from you. If you want to reach me, contact Merrielee as she can give you my email & cell phone number. The phone is a prepay, but we get free texting with it so that is a great way to stay in contact.

Miss you guys! I will write more the next time.

----
Paula

atruckerswife
Community Leader
Community Leader

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Woohoo!! I will have to get the cell number and text/bug ya on occasion! Wonderful to hear from you. I'll bet those kiddos are just a joy.
{{hugs}} and I am so glad you found a place to check in.

----
~*~ 2003-2018 ~ Happy 15th Anniversary ATW ~*~

Tee
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thumbs Up Dance

----
recycle.reuse.refurbish.ha and dh thinks GARBAGE..He's learning.LOL

Merrielee
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok I'm back online & yes I have all here contact info for those who want it just pm me!!

----
If People were ment to POP out of bed
we'd all sleep in toasters!

oklamouse
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Greetings!!!! Reply with quote
Oh my goodness is has been a long time, I don't know where to start.

We are doing well. Lots have been going on, but we are getting through it all okay. The Lord is such a strength to us. My health is much improved now that the hypertension is being treated. No more chest pains unless I really over do things.

Micah (age 17 months) has been diagnosed with autism. Praise the Lord, it is a mild level right now. They feel that because of the early diagnosis, the chance of regression is now lessened. The doctor is excited about him being such a happy kid. That, along with his enjoying cuddling & not having food texture issues are a few of the things that lead them to believe he will do very well. Many autistic children don't tolerate cuddling & have food texture issues that make mealtimes very tense.

We are adjusting to the idea of Micah being autistic. I have had my tears over it & Joe had to go through the complete denial before he could accept it. Now, we cherish each of the rare times that he looks at us in the eye and smiles. Eye contact is not a common occurance, so any time we are able to do so with him is a blessing. It is amazing how such a small thing can be taken for granted with children.
Two weeks ago, Micah called me "Momma" for the first time. Another cherished moment.

Abbie (age 3) is doing very well. She had been preschooling at home and has already completed a full term's worth of workbooks so we now have to buy new ones. She has begun learning to read small words and is always trying to find those words in her books. She has 3 little kittens that she tends and she says that she is their momma. LOL Over the summer, she was such a big help in tending the kittens. Each day she is the one who feeds them. They are 5 months old now and full of sassiness. As soon as they see Abbie, they follow her all over the yard as she plays.

We are preparing for winter now. Rearranging the front room again to make space for the firewood to be stored. Joe always brings in enough to last a few days at a time so that I never have to haul wood into the house. Today, I was able to light and use the kitchen wood cookstove for the first time and had a lot of fun doing it. Soon, it will be cool enough at night to light the larger wood stove in the front room.

I have been holding on to a little info. Next tax refund, we plan to get a small laptop computer and a generator so that we will have computer access at home again. Will be a few months yet, but we are trying to make it happen. We miss the online access too much.

I will try to get back on again soon.

May the Lord's blessings be with all of you and your families. I miss you all.
Paula

PrairieMom
New Friend

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm back! Did ya miss me? LOL

Well, after a whole year without a computer (can you believe it) or electricity, we now have a laptop that we can use at home. We charge it up while Joe is using it at work or the library, as well as when we are driving down the road. One bad part of not being online for so long is that I forgot my log-in enformation and had to start over. Thus, the new ID of PrairieMom.

So much has been going on. "Miss Abbie" is now 4 yrs old and such a funny kid. She talks so seriously, like she is a big person, yet using her little sing-song voice. "Micah" will be 2 on Easter. We learned in September that he has high-functioning autism. Watching the two of them together is always fun.

We are still completely non-electric and loving it. We recently took another step back in time. A couple of days before Valentine's Day, Joe text to me that he was bringing home a surprise - something that I have asked him to build. It could only be one of 2 things: a chicken coop or an outdoor privy. Well, when Joe got home he proudly showed me that on the back of his pickup truck was the privy! LOL I joked to others that it was my Valentine's Day present. A couple of weeks later, Joe was repairing the innerds of the bathroom toilet as it had been leaking water. One day 2 of his trying to remove the screw that holds the tank in place, he got a tad bit grumpy and began growling and shacking the tank to try and get it off. The screw had rusted, then stripped out somehow. After much growling - yeah he literally growled - Joe walked through the house with the entire toilet in his arms and took it outside. After putting it down, he declared it "fixed." So, we are now actually using that Valentine's Day gift as it is our only toilet. ROFLMBO

Life has been very fun and interesting for us. I have a routine now that allows me plenty of time to just sit back and enjoy our simple life. Joe is still working in town. I asked him the other day if he ever regrets leaving trucking and though he misses it, he is happy to be home.

I am going to be able now to post weekly to the forum. On Wednesdays, the little people (aka Abbie & Micah) are visiting their Grandparents. I do a few chores in the morning then go to the library to use the internet. Feel free to contact me anytime through email if you want. Joe takes the computer to the library each work day and sends/receives emails before coming home. It takes the extra day for me to get the messages sent, but I am able to get it done now.

Sure have missed you all !!!

Paula
"Prairie Mom"

----
Prairie Mom
(formerly "Oklamouse")

Navigator
Community Friend
Community Friend

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
WeLcoMe back! So glad you will be able to keep us up to date more often....have missed you Hugs

----
All roads lead home!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Community Home -> Around and About the House All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: